I am looking forward to christmas

I am looking forward to Christmas – there are things that I really enjoy: Spending time with my family, see the excitement in the eyes of the children, sing in the church and the smell in the kitchen Christmas eve. But these joyful moments are not what I am thinking about when I say that I am looking forward to Christmas.

What I am really looking forward to is with the word of Grundtvig to reach beyond christianity, to find traces of a lifestyle connected to nature.


At the brake of dawn on the 25. of december I will go out in the open countryside where I live, find the darkest spot and hopefully my eye will glance at a wonderful phenomena.

I will look towards southeast and find Sirius, the brightest star in the heaven. Sirius is placed on the heaven exactly on the spot, where the sun is soon to rise. I will find Orions Belt, three stars on line, placed on top of the bright shining star – I don´t lye to you, it is as there is a line drawn from the Belt to Sirius and the line points directly to the spot where the sun will rise moments later.

And then I will think about the connection between this phenomena and the story from the bible with the three wise men = the Belt of Orion, and the birth of a King = Sirius/Sun.

Is it a coincidence? Or it is so that this phenomena points back in history before christianity? Does it tell us about what Robert M. Pirsig in his wonderful book “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values” talks about when he says that mythos came before logos?


When I see the sun rise, my feet are cold and I rush back to my family. The coffee is warm, so is my beautiful wife and the rest of family is hardly awake. When they do, we will eat breakfast together and talk about the scientific fact that this day, the 25. of december is just a tiny bit longer than the 21. of december. And naturally the conversation will leap to spring and it will make us all very happy.

I sure look forward to Christmas.

Listen to the story here:

www.cocosbrandconcept.com/reflections/First_page/First_page.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At give respons på en historie

Storytelling is a modern thing - internet and the rest is so oldfashion